The sermon of Matt Chandler on James

Its been quite some time since I blogged but today I really felt pulled to share some thoughts on a sermon I watched while getting on the treadmill, something I have not done a lot of lately, along with listening to Chandler. My treadmill and Chandler go hand in hand usually. Whatever, that was useless information...another reason why I don't blog much lately. My thoughts are definitely not your thoughts AND they are NOT higher than yours. Thankful we have a Bible and a Savior whose thoughts are perfect and He rescued us!!

So, here is the direct quote that screamed, "Put me on face book and remind everyone NO LIFE IS PERFECT and stop comparing and live fully in your joy or trial because each one will end after the season completes the purpose for which it was sent."

This is it!!

A STUDY DONE BY INSTAGRAM not by Christians stated...."Instagram leads to depression"

That was the direct quote from Chandlers sermon on James dated February 15. Which, by the way (in my OPINION), was a homerun! I probably would temper that quote with "it can lead" and maybe add, "social media in general can lead to depression." Where is our focus is always my heart question for myself...Jesus help me see YOU!!

Matt Chandler is doing a series on James and he is examining the part where it speaks of considering trials joy. He followed that quote with, "When we endure trials (which we all will) we become hyper sensitive of the prettiness other peoples lives and we begin to resent them" He spoke of his trial of cancer and a time of discouragement as he too looked around at other people that were healthy and wondered why they had health and he didn't. My thoughts are not to continue to explain his sermon, but, I would look it up if you every struggle with doubt or comparison! You will be blessed!!

My Dad is in a rest home right now and his comment the other day was, "I wish I could do what that 86 year old can do!" That comment "I wish" ...pretty sure I uttered those words before! If he had face book and saw all the grandpas hanging out with there grandkids and eating dinner with them he would be even more depressed! Is the answer not to put the good times we have on social media? Is the answer to only put all our sin and failings on? Is the answer to never get instagram or any form of social media? If we didn't have social media would bullying be non-existent?

Pretty sure we would all answer the above questions differently, but Matt did a great job at taking the scripture below and taking all focus of ourselves and placed it on God our Father who knows all things and cares for every thought we have!

Testing of Your Faith

2 Count it all joy, my brothers,[b] when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

9 Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, 10 and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass[c] he will pass away. 11 For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.[d] 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of his creatures.

Matt challenged us at the end to remember every good and perfect gift is from above! Can you smell? That's a gift! Can you breathe? That is a gift! I can remember the words of a family member years ago before he left this world for His real home. "Cancer was a gift from God.I know and love Him more now than I did when I was healthy." I know for sure he didn't begin with that attitude but God brought him to the place that all he had or wanted was Jesus and every thing else was a good gift!

I know that if I was a Mom today watching other kids walk and talk before my kids on face book I would be tempted to covet and then think my kid was "slow" then I would worry. At some point I hope one of my friends would say, " Hey Mb God gave you everything you have and when you leave this earth, life will go on. He understands every longing you have and loves you and your family more than anyone in the world. Lets go and enjoy all of it and live life like Jesus shows us HE knows and is the way .... HE has got the whole world in His hand!

Our Father gave us the best gift ever! Instagram may lead to depression. Jesus will always lead to life! Grab a friend and open the WORD and help each other see joy and trials help us see His Grace!!

FYI.....Matt Chandler February 15 Village Church! Great encouragement!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!!

Forgiveness

The Royal Wedding and Psalm 145