Really Psalm 84 again

Why?

The question a Mom gets so tired of hearing from a 3 year old.  A question a teenager hates to hear from a parent.  Why is why such an important question?  One word that begs us to "think".  I had a friend this week ask me the "why" question.  It caused me to think and ask God "why".  Why am I afraid?  Why won't a take a step in that direction? 

Often times the question "why" causes us to think about our thoughts, our actions, our motives and it allows God to remind us of who He is. 

Yes today is the last day I will comment on Psalm 84.  It is verse 11 that has stuck in my head and as been somewhat of an answer for my question of "why" lately.  To be honest my quiet time for MANY weeks has been Psalm 84 and really it has been just this one verse.

"No good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless!"

Well, the very first time I read it, the word "blameless" jumped out at me.  Who is blameless?  What does blameless mean?  If I recall back a few years I would have to say I maybe thought that I was blameless, I was a pretty "good" person.  Makes me want to throw up as I type this.  Actually it is kinda hard even to say it.  I looked at the reference verses and it pointed me to Genesis 17:1.  Here I found that Abraham walked before the Lord blameless!  As I recalled his life IT sure wasn't perfect.  I then went down to the reference of this verse and it explained that blameless means to be faithful and obedient.  OK, now that makes sense.

I read the verse this way...No good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is faithful and obedient!  More questions...So if I am to walk faithful and obedient...Whose help do I need and why?  Who do I need to rely on and why?  Can't I just pull up my own boot straps and from this day forward walk in faith and obedience?  Why do I need to ask for help?  Why is help so hard to ask for?  Why is it so hard to admit I can't do things on my own?

Believe it or not I left with this word blameless=faithful and obedient, encouraged!  Why was I encouraged you ask. Because God gave me His son to pay for my sin so I am free of the power of sin and He gives me the desire and the strength to walk by faith.  Do I fail?  Most definitely!  Where do I go when I fail?  To the cross where He did the best work ever in my life!

So I told you this is the last time in Psalm 84!  I have one last word from that verse that has caused me to ask some questions again. 

"No good thing does He withhold"

Prosperity gospel at its best?!  That new car I wanted.  The new_______.  You name it, God says he will withhold no good thing? Is that what this verse means?

I really like this one!

Now what?

How do I explain cancer and taking the lives of those we love?
How do I explain divorce?
How do I explain broken relationships? 
How about 9-11?  Was that good?
How do I explain Gods goodness to a hurt child? A sick child?

None of this stuff above is good in my eyes! What is good in Gods eyes?

What promises can I take from Gods word that help me explain "good"?  What have you found?

I am going to end with that today, too many things to think about...I just might have to continue this last verse in Psalm 84 one more time - :)

He asks us to keep following Him - He knows the way that we take!  
       

Comments

  1. Thoughts from me: In Genesis 15:1 I read Gods word to Abram "Do not be afraid. I am your shield,your very great reward." I feel like THAT is the good thing that he will never withhold from us when we follow him with faith and obedience. He will be our shield when we fall upon adversity, which we will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!!

Forgiveness

The Royal Wedding and Psalm 145