Jesus Appears to Mary

Good Morning Monday!

We are in John 20:10-18 today.  You will find it on page 242 of Meet With Me.

10 Then the disciples went back to where they were staying. 
 11 Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.
 13 They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?”
   “They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.” 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.
 15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”
   Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”
 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”
   She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).
 17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
 18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.

Look at the very first verse and read it very slowly.  The question is, "Would you have stayed as Mary did or would you have gone home?"  The disciples left and Mary stayed. 

I found myself wondering what thoughts the disciples had as they left.  The previous verse says that they still did not understand that Jesus had to rise. We see Mary stayed crying.  What would I have done and why would I have left or why would have I stayed?  Would it be me thinking "Well, its over." or "I wonder when I will see him again?"   Would it be sadness as Mary? 

As I apply it to me today it comes down to will I live believing or live doubtful or live in total unbelief.  We have the word that tells us what is going to happen and what happens today is Gods control.  We have the privilege of knowing the end of the story.  The only questions are:

"Where will I be in that story?
"How does my life tell the story of who I belong to?"

We see that Jesus tells Mary to go and tell the disciples that Jesus is returning to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.  Who am I telling about my Father and my God and His coming return?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!!

Forgiveness

The Royal Wedding and Psalm 145