Sewing, ironing and Psalm 139:5?

Do you ever feel like you goofed up beyond fixing it?  Maybe you said that last word that you shouldn't have said.  Maybe you ate the dessert that you told yourself was not part of the food plan this week.  Maybe you realized your parental actions were not quiet right.  Maybe you just think you did "something" or said "something" that is just one step beyond going back. I have been there and so have many others.  Many today are feeling lost, doubtful, fearful and maybe even without hope to see beyond the mistakes they have made.

These were some thoughts that were  meandering through my mind as I ironed some clothes early this morning, (procrastination is one word that fits me when it comes to ironing my husbands shirts). When I can't sleep, or when God wakes me up I ask who needs prayers and then when sleep still escapes me or God keeps me awake...I get up and do the stuff I can quietly.   Ironing is quiet!

I had about 7 shirts to iron and as I took the first on I noticed some grease on the sleeve.  It looked like it had been through the wash and dry cycle a few times.  My mind immediately went to, "Why can't you watch the stains and take some time to get them out...you stink at ironing!"  How often our thoughts condemn us, a sure sign of the enemies attacks.

As I picked up the second shirt I notice how worn the collar was, this one had been around for awhile. The collar was getting close to being to worn and thin to keep it in the closet.  My mind slowly thought of how I sometimes think "something" needs to be thrown out and replaced.  I wondered what God sees in my life that needs to be replaced.  My question to myself was, "Am I willing to take a close look at me and see what Gods loving eyes see and look at what can stay and what needs to go?"

The next shirt I picked up was almost brand new.  It was still stiff, it was just purchased this spring to replace one of the worn out shirts.  As I began to iron, I ironed in some wrinkles.  Did I forget to tell you the reason I procrastinate on ironing is because I am not good at it?  Well, as the iron pressed those wrinkles in, I had to rearrange the shirt, so I could reposition the iron, to redo the wrinkles, I just ironed in.  How many times do I have a wrinkle on me that I have put in my own life?   Maybe it is a wrinkle that I put there by disobeying, maybe it is a wrinkle that someone else put there and I can't do anything about it.  Never the less you feel and see the wrinkle.  Do I come to God regularly and ask Him to examine the wrinkles?  Am I willing to trust him with the wrinkles? Am I willing to obey His direction in repositioning so He can get those wrinkles out?

The last thing I did was sew a snap on a dress.  I did it 3 times because I kept sewing it on the wrong side, yes three times!  I must to had to learn something so I had to do it 3 times I guess.  This is where Psalm 139 came from.  This was a dress that was made for a little girl in our church and I looked at the stitching and the hem on it and thought of the hands that made it.  I found my Bible and looked up hem... Psalm 139:5.

You hem me in - behind and before you have laid your hand upon me!

As I sewed and ironed in the early morning hours I thought of how God hems me in.  He goes behind and before me and He has laid is hand upon me!  Stains, worn out, wrinkles and the stuff of living life in a fallen world, he sees!  He sees you and me and has hemmed us in, He has laid His hand on us and goes behind and before us. No matter how we "feel" we can "know" and trust and believe in the one thing that never fails....GODS LOVE!!          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!!

Forgiveness

The Royal Wedding and Psalm 145