The rest of Philippians 3

In my Bible the first phrase of verse 10 is on one page and then I have to flip the page.  The phrase is, "that I may know Him".  I caught myself thinking how often we see the best part, the most exciting part of a story, or another persons life and we want it. That is until we find out the rest of the story and what else goes with another persons life.  Have you been there?


I can say with much excitement, "Yes, I want to know Him!" I think knowing Him means discovering more and more about Him and His life.  I wonder if the more I discover about Him the more I become amazed at the rest of the story.  What is the rest of the story of chapter 3?

I get to know Him and the power of His resurrection!  What is the resurrection power? Once more I find myself asking, "Why don't I ask God these questions as I walk through life?  I ask Him for a lot of concerns could I ever ask questions that will reveal more of Him to me?  We get to share in His resurrection power!  Another song pops up into my head, actually several...Victory in Jesus...Up from the gave He arose...In Christ alone... I have to think part of that story means the power to put the old man to death and put on Christ and His nature He gives us! What do you think?

Did you notice the next phrase?  I may share in His sufferings,becoming like Him in His death. Well that is quite the phrase!  My cheater notes listed below the text in the ESV version say that Jesus faced sufferings that attend the faithful witness in a fallen world.  What kind of suffering does that mean for you and me?

Could it mean feeling abit different in your lifestyle when the larger crowd is looking abit different?
Could it mean being sad as someone continues down a path away from Christ?
Could it mean a deep wonderment about the salvation of people you meet or see along your way?
Could it mean giving up/crucifying some habits that really don't belong to a follower of Jesus?
Could it mean a sense of urgency and concern as the events of this world show us we live in a fallen world and the need for a Savior?

What does it mean to share in His sufferings for you and me personally?  Have I prayed and asked what the cost is to following?

That last phrase of verse 11 puts another spin on the story. "that I by any means possible attain the resurrection of the dead."  I am not sure about you but I believe that is the cheesecake!  Could it be heaven?  When this short time on earth is over there is eternity and could these present sufferings be a part of achieving the best part of all.....Jesus!

Yes you guessed it, we need another day to finish the chapter!  I want to close with a thought that was shared in a class yesterday.  When you get to heaven who do you want to see?  The teacher said most people say they want to see, Adam, Moses, Elijah...not many mention seeing Jesus. I would have to say for myself personally Jesus isn't the first person that comes to mind. How about you? Who do you want to see?  Who do you want to become like? Who do you want to get to know? 

What part of the story is best to you?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

Here we go!!

The Royal Wedding and Psalm 145