Philippians 3

Hello January 2,

Day number 2 of 2013 and day number 2 of new year resolutions! Have you made them this year? Have you ever made one? What is a new years resolution that would bring glory and honor to Christ?

I have a friend that I chat with when making choices and one thing she always asks is, "What choice would bring the most glory to Christ?" Sometimes both decisions would bring honor to Him and sometimes it it very evident which choice I need to make based on that question.... New Years Resolution? Do you need to make one or not?

Yesterday we talked of one verse in Philippians and today I am following the direction of our pastor by reading chapter 3. I hope you got a chance to read it yesterday and if not maybe today is the day!

I think I can really identify with Paul and His previous way of life. To be honest I find it an old habit (old man) that I still get to put off and put Christ (new man)on Those verses 2-6 explain how easy it is to put confidence in me! That song from Sound of Music comes to mind...

...I have confidence in sunshine, I have confidence in rain, I have confidence in ME!


Are you singing or humming it!


Paul says in verse 3 to worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ AND put no confidence in flesh! I find it easier to make my to do list and follow it to a T and let nothing stand in my way of getting it all done!!


If I am going to worship by the Spirit AND give glory to God I will need 2 things! He himself (a relationship) and His word! I can't know someone if I dont spend time with them. Have you everyhried to get to know someone without spending time with them? It is often pretty hard to follow your to do list to a T when you are in relationship with others. People get in the way of an agenda. Did Paul have an agenda? What was it?


We find Pauls new man agenda in verse7! Whatever gain I had I counted it loss for the sake of Christ! What will that look like for you and me in 2013? Do you every ask God for what a certain verse looks like lived out in your life? I wonder if our rigid todo list might suffer a bit? I wonder if more joy will come into our lives as we let go of the control button? Look at Pauls life, he thought he had it all together and then the Damascus road in the book of Acts! Did his agenda change a bit?

I just noticed a word in verse 9, actually it was a phrase, "depends on faith". What did Pauls faith depend on after his trip on the Damazcus road? In todays world it is so easy to put faith in what you can do. I love verse 9 b where Paul tells us where his righteousness comes from! Where does my faith (help) come from?

Where does your righteousness come from? Where does your confidence come from? Does being a follower of Jesus promise trouble free lives? Where did Paul keep His eyes focused on?

See you tomorrow when we get to finish up the chapter!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!!

Forgiveness

The Royal Wedding and Psalm 145